Macomb County District Attorney Lobbying for New Human Trafficking Unit in Draft Budget 2022
(WXYZ) – Macomb County District Attorney Peter Lucido is pushing for a new human trafficking unit in his 2022 budget.
According to the Macomb County District Attorney’s Office, if the budget is approved, the unit would work with police to prosecute those who use force, fraud or coercion to obtain some type of work or sex trade. . A deputy prosecutor would also be dedicated to the prosecution of human trafficking crimes.
“I fully support our County Executive’s stated goal of doing everything possible to prevent and prosecute these crimes. A fully funded prosecutor’s office would be an important part of the prosecution of these cases, ”Lucido said in a statement. “It is truly a team effort to prosecute human trafficking cases and defend the survivors of these crimes. “
Lucido’s budget is currently awaiting consideration by the county executive and submission to the county commission.
According to the Kent County Human Trafficking Task Force, warning signs related to human trafficking include:
· A suspect can be seen frequently with young people vulnerable to sex trafficking;
· A suspect may have in his possession the keys to his hotel room;
· A vulnerable person may “date” a much older person, receive gifts from that person and often have to consult with them;
· The photo of a vulnerable person may be posted on Backpage or other adult sites;
· A vulnerable person may engage in sexual activity in order to obtain basic needs such as food, shelter and clothing;
· A vulnerable person may have been evicted or run away from their home.